Thursday, May 27, 2010

Scanning and Software

Playing around a bit this weekend.

I was watching a show on Revision3 (more later) called "Hak 5" and they mentioned a site called Ninite that allows you to download and install a bunch of freeware all at once. One of the programs was Inkscape, an open source vector drawing program. Mention vectors and you have my interest! I downloaded and installed it. I loaded the logo of my favorite beverage, Moxie:

Taken from the internet...

Cleaned up in Inkscape and loaded as a dxf in Rhino... Very handy...

The other project was playing with the David scanner software. The demo is free but limited in resolution. The software, a line laser ($15.00 at Home Depot) and a webcam is all you need, more or less...

First scan I did...

Another scan in Rhino...not perfect but certainly shows a lot of promise and I'll play with it more.

Back to Revision3...they used to have a show called "Systm" and there's a great episode on using the David software. In the show they mentioned "Meshlab" which is a mesh manipulation program. It crashes a lot (at least for me) but has some cool features for aligning meshes taken from scans, smoothing, etc. Here's an Instructable about using it.

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment