Thursday, September 23, 2010

Steve Fornelius’ Steady Rest

Steve Fornelius says, "I needed a following rest for my lathe and after a basically fruitless search, I decided to heavily modify on by JR Bentley.
I had to make it simple, because I don't have a mill to make anything fancy! If you can tell me how to post to your site, I'll submit there.
Anyway, here's the gist of the project:
One piece 3/4" x 1/2" four inches long for the base
One piece 3/4" x 1/2" fly cut to 1/2" x 1/2" x 3 inches long for the crosspiece
Two pieces 3/4" x 1/2" fly cut to 1/2" x 1/2" x 2 inches long for the upright and guide support
Two pieces of 1/4" brass rod for guides
Five 3/4 inch 10-32 socket head cap screws
Simple drilling, tapping and counterboring for the cap head screws. I found I could use my Delta 9" bandsaw to cut the metal, so I saved a lot of hacksawing!

follower1 follower2 follower3 follower4 follower5

No comments:

Post a Comment